Komandoo Island
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Komandoo Island

Unofficial forum for discussion of Komandoo Island Resort

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Diving

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
maldives diver

maldives diver

Diving Empty
PostSubject: Diving   Diving I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 6:37 am

As you can tell from my username I like to splash about a bit Laughing

Can anyone tell me how the diving is around Komandoo

Any dive trips better than others

M D
Back to top Go down
mark & deb

mark & deb

Diving Empty
PostSubject: re Diving   Diving I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 am

Hi MD,
I had some great diving around Komandoo last October, the diving centre is "Pro Divers" and is managed by Rosa & Josep, they are helped by two other instructors Silvia and Steve.
There is also Aslam & Saizzudin who help out in the diving centre & are both helpful & friendly.

Of the dive sites I visited here are the five best ones.........

Kuredu Caves, Huge green turtles asleep in the caves or going up for a breath here and there, there are also some very friendly Batfish.

Express, adrenalin filled channel dive, grey reef sharks & Eagle rays.

Kahlifushifaru Corner, this is another channel dive, we started on the outer reef making our way towards the channel.
Unfortunately the current changed from incoming to outgoing mid dive so couldn't get into the channel.
we saw a huge Napoleon wrasse with his family, we are talking mid car size!!

Anemone Thila, the top of this Thila is covered in a complete carpet of anemones, beautiful! its unusual as its a mid atoll dive, Lhiviyani atoll has no islands inside the atoll, only in channels or around the fringe.

Fushivaru Thila, My favorite! Before Komandoo we had visited seven resorts in the Maldives, done over one hundred dives whilst there and never seen a Manta close up.
Within ten minutes of our first snorkeling session one swam closely by on Komandoo's HR, Now I wanted to dive with them......
Before we left the UK Rosa had asked us to get her something, when we arrived I gave her a box containing what she had asked for and told her I would swap it for a Manta sighting, she promised not to open it until I had seen one!
On my last diving day she arranged for us to go to Fushivaru thila, as we aproached the dive site Josep jumped in and done a current check, as he climbed back on board the dhoni he smiled to himself.
we kitted up and he gave the breifing, I then asked everyone to bow there heads whilst I gave a short prayer to the Manta ray gods.......
We jumped in and finned for the bottom at warp speed, once down we zig zagged across the thila in the current until we came across the coral blocks we had been told to look out for in the breifing.
My buddy & I found a clear spot to hang onto and waited, almost straight away I could see on in the distance, it was coming our way!
I turned my camera on and set it to movie mode, in the cameras screen I could see it getting closer & closer with others arriving in the background, the Manta kept coming then stopped one metre away as it was being cleaned by the wrasse.
Just as I thought "this is going to look great the screen went black! Gulp I had forgot to press the shutter button to start recording in all the excitement!
However I did get some nice clips, Few!!!!!

Here is a link to my Komandoo youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfn_G8MJwc

If you need any more info, just ask!

Mark (& Deb)
Back to top Go down

Diving
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Komandoo Island :: Diving and Snorkeling-
Jump to: